Criteria select addresses
CRITERIA SELECT ADDRESSES
The objective of publishing these fabulous addresses is to inform you, tourists and visitors alike, about the extensive variety of shops and eating and drinking establishments in Kortrijk. Experience has taught us that you want to explore the main shopping streets but particularly want to know where to find Kortrijk's quintessential boutiques. Our ambition is to lead you away from the mainstream and allow you to discover some unique addresses. They are establishments that you will not find anywhere else and that showcase Kortrijk as a trendy mini city break destination. Bundling this type of information is also important for travel and lifestyle journalists. Journalists increasingly ask us: what is new, which typical Kortrijk products do you have, what is original and different from other destinations? These kind of lists can also help these target groups on their way.
Select addresses for fashion, home and interior, antiques and vintage and lifestyle:
We cannot include all of Kortrijk's shops in these select address lists and that is not our aim.These lists represent a directly usable introduction through a selection of addresses.For a broader selection please visit www.shop-in-kortrijk.be.
To compile the list of select addresses we applied the following criteria:
1. Location. The majority of tourists stay in the centre and an additional advantage is that our centre is manageable on foot and everything is within walking distance. So we only include addresses that are located within a comfortable walking distance from the Grote Markt.
2. No chains. Establishments that are part of a large retail chain can also be found elsewhere so are not eligible. We focus on independent entrepreneurs in Kortrijk. To be included on our list of fashion and accessories addresses the boutiques must stock items by Kortrijk or Belgian designers.
3. Local colour or Made in Kortrijk. We try to define what is a typical Kortrijk product based on reactions from visitors (journalists and individual tourists, Tripadvisor, responses from the website, etc.) but also what we experts believe embodies Kortrijk.
4. A contemporary and trendy character: what is new, up and coming, original and consistent with the trends. This includes design and the creative production economy as well as sustainability (e.g. vintage). The unique property in which the business is situated may also be relevant because it is worth a specific visit.
Each select address must fulfil at least 3 of the 4 criteria.
Exception: the location criterion suffices for antique dealers.
Select wellness addresses:
The select wellness addresses are publicly accessible without a compulsory overnight stay, are modern, offer a high level of quality and a wide range of options for relaxation.
Select addresses of eating and drinking establishments: recommended bistros and restaurants, chocolatiers, coffee establishments and bars:
For these addresses we enlist the help of a panel that consists of:
- a thirty-year-old man, with his roots and job based in Kortrijk, who is an amateur chef, and has an affinity with and interest in architecture and design.
- a forty-year-old woman, with her roots in Kortrijk, who is a lifestyle journalist and graphic artist and who owns a B&B in Bruges.
- a fifty-year-old woman, living in Kortrijk, who teaches tourism and is a culinary enthusiast.
- a forty-year-old man, living in Kortrijk, who is a bona fide lover of life.
We regularly present new addresses that we receive to this four-person panel.
For first class restaurants we use the Gault&Millau quota system.
These lists are very dynamic and may change on a regular basis. Tourism Kortrijk and Team Economy regularly prospect new addresses and the panel can communicate its findings at any time.
In its session of 9 December 2013, the Board of Mayor and Aldermen decided to accept in principle the selective publication of recommendations related to eating, drinking and shopping on Tourism Kortrijk's website.