The site occupied by St. Martin's Church (Sint-Maartenskerk) was already home to a 'place of worship' in around 650 AD. Later a Romanesque church was built there, which was replaced by a Gothic church in the Middle Ages, built between 1390 and 1466. The Brabantine Gothic stone tower dates from 1439. But in 1862 the tower was struck by lightning and the wooden section was completely destroyed by fire. The spire was fully restored to its former glory over the next few years. The wooden spire houses a carillon with 49 bells. The church is a hall church comprising three aisles. The middle choir, two side choirs and the St. Anna chapel were rebuilt in Neo-Gothic styles after being destroyed by fire in 1862.