The towers (Broeltorens) are constructed from limestone and sandstone. The southern 'Speytorre' was constructed in 1385 to control traffic on the Leie. The tower was also part of the fortifications of the Counts of Flanders' first castle in Kortrijk. The northerly 'Inghelburghtorre', dating back to 1415, served as a weapons depot and was equipped for the use of artillery. The Broel bridge originally dates back to 1385. It has been destroyed and rebuilt several times.