Baggaertshof was founded in 1638 by the Baggaert sisters, who built twelve small houses and a gatehouse intended for poor widows and unmarried women. Together with a chapel these small houses surround a rectangular inner courtyard. The founders and later their heirs decided who was taken in. 'Rules and ordinances' were established for the residents, who were obliged to return home early to ring the large bell. In the chapel, Saint Dympna was called upon to ward off madness and epilepsy. There has been a herb garden here for centuries. In 1981, a medicinal herb garden was planted by the 'Kruiden Medici working group', an association of pharmacists and doctors from Kortrijk. More than two hundred different herbs were planted. Baggaertshof is a listed monument.