- The city's most important icon
- Remains of the medieval city walls
- The two towers are linked by a bridge across the Leie.
The towers (Broeltorens) are constructed from limestone and sandstone. The southern 'Speytorre' was constructed in 1385 to control traffic on the Leie. The tower was also part of the fortifications of the Counts of Flanders' first castle in Kortrijk. The northerly 'Inghelburghtorre', dating back to 1415, served as a weapons depot and was equipped for the use of artillery. The Broel bridge originally dates back to 1385. It has been destroyed and rebuilt several times.
The city walk 'A city's metamorphosis' and the '10,000 steps walk' pass by the towers.
More info: Broel Towers
Location: Broelkaai / Verzetskaai
Tip: In the middle of the Broel bridge there is a statue of Johannes Nepomucemus, patron of the drowned.
Pedestrian signage: The Broel Towers are located in the Historic Centre on number 10. See also the list of marqued points of interest.